Community Food Pantry Assistant
Title: Pantry Assistant
Department: Community Access
Reports To: Director, Pantry Operations
Location: 2134 Richmond Terrace, Staten Island, NY 10302
Position Status: Full Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Pay Rate: $35,000; excellent benefits package
Community Health Action of Staten Island (CHASI) drives dramatic improvements in the health of New Yorkers by feeding people who are hungry, healing families broken apart by violence, and bridging the gaps between people and the compassionate health care they deserve. CHASI serves the most vulnerable individuals, families, and communities with critical services and programs. CHASI provides outreach, education, prevention, and direct support services for populations most affected by health disparities – the poor and working poor, low income people with chronic illnesses, persons with criminal justice involvement, substance users, domestic violence survivors, people of color, and the LGBTQ community.
The Pantry Assistant is charged with running programs, including but not limited to, the Community Food Pantry and Holiday/seasonal events. The Community Food Pantry runs on a client choice model that replicates a true shopping experience for our clients. The Pantry works in collaboration with other CHASI services on and off-site, where Pantry clients are often referred. This position includes particular responsibilities regarding volunteer engagement and oversight at the food pantry.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Preparation and coordination of the Community Food Pantry and other regularly scheduled events (i.e. fall food basket deliveries).
- Solicitation of donations of goods and services from the Staten Island business community and maintenance of donation logs.
- Provide clerical support and perform administrative duties related to the Food Pantry Program.
- Data entry for all food pantry programs; or other programs as assigned by the Director of Pantry Operations and/or AVP of Community Access.
- Attend related trainings on food handling, food safety, and nutrition.
- Outreach to community agencies in the Pantry neighborhood to increase utilization of Pantry.
- Assemble and distribute food packages.
- Welcome Pantry clients, conduct intake screenings for new clients, and record services in database.
- Guide consumers through their pantry shopping experience.
- Train and coordinate on-site volunteers/interns, tracking their schedules and hours worked.
- Assist Pantry Director with supply requisition, food ordering, and reporting.
- Perform clerical and administrative duties related to the Pantry Program. (i.e. filing, copies, etc.)
- Conduct emergency pantry intakes and food distributions along with documentation of services.
- Accept pantry deliveries, pick up/receiving, stock shelves, keep temperature logs, keep inventory, and maintain an organized pantry.
- Perform all functions in alignment with CHASI’s Mission, Vision, and Core Values.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma/GED, plus a minimum of two years community relations experience required.
- Computer skills – Word, Excel, Outlook and other Microsoft Office platforms.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus.
- Must be available to work Tuesday through Saturday, and a flexible 40 hour week as needed.
- Must maintain a current Food Handlers Certification or will to obtain.
- Clean driver’s license required.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs comfortably.
E-mail your resume to HRTeam@chasiny.org: include the job title in the subject line.
CHASI is an Equal Opportunity Employer