Two and a half years after our previous statement, the genocide in Palestine is reaching depraved vengeful levels. As we go to press, forty-three days have passed since Palestinian resistance factions broke through the Gaza prison walls and launched the October 7 surprise attack killing 1,200 Israelis. Israel has since officially declared a state of war against Palestinians, engaged in broad airstrikes, and a ground operation in the Gaza Strip.
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency estimates 2.1 million Palestinians live in the Gaza Strip - an area two and a half times the size of Staten Island - which is under complete blockade by both Israel and Egypt. Gaza’s land borders, as well as airspace and maritime borders, are all under the control of the Israeli military, meaning that it is virtually impossible for Gazans to leave the territory.
Since Israel’s declaration of war, their Military has cut electricity, and water, as well as imposed severe limits to fuel. Further, they have attacked hospitals, and killed at least 11,470 Palestinians - one out of every 200 people in Gaza. After six weeks, 4,707 of the casualties are children, a staggering 41% of the Palestinian dead as of November 16. In contrast, as of June 1, 2023 approximately 535 Ukrainian Children had been killed by the Russian Military sixteen months into their conflict.
The genocide of Palestinians is not continuing without local outrage where many hundreds flooded the streets of St. George in opposition to Israel’s actions. Plea for the Fifth supports the growing global movement for a free Palestine, and has signed onto the call to Shut it Down for Palestine. Read the international call to action below, and links to additional resources to become better informed.
NOW is the time for our mobilizations to grow in size, frequency, and focus; building a political climate that makes Israel’s business of genocide unsustainable.
- The Palestine Academy
- Within Our Lifetime, Palestinian-led liberation movement in NYC
- Palestine Land Society
- On the history, meaning, and power of “From the River To the Sea” Mondoweiss
- Canadian lawyers warn Justin Trudeau they will seek genocide prosecution The Electronic Intifada
- ‘We are all Palestinians’ in the face of colonial fascism, an open letter from the labor union representing professors at Palestinian Birzeit University
- Palestinian Youth Movement
- National Students for Justice in Palestine
- ANSWER Coalition (Act Now Stop War End Racism)
- The People’s Forum
- International People’s Assembly
- Al-Awda (NY)
- Palestinian American Community Center (NJ)